Bad weather of all types can impact your house, and cause structural destruction, be it the thunderstorm or hail storm. You cannot foretell what type of property damage a storm can bring. Even in case, it appears that the property survived wicked winds, take a walk around the house and the hidden problem which you might not have noticed otherwise could be revealed. However, with careful planning, you can return to the normalcy as instantly as possible.
- Stay out – Though you might be tempted to try and get your possessions, or even viewing the severity of structural damage after the storm, it is not safe for you to do that.
- Contact your Insurance Company – Reach out to your insurance company as soon as possible, as well as inform them about the structural damage suffered by your home after the storm.
- Look for a suitable place to stay – The insurance company will suggest to you about what to do in terms of accommodation after the storm damage.
- Apparels, as well as other essentials – You, will be required to speak with the concerned insurance company as well as think about what to do next in terms of clothes as well as other essentials such as toiletries.
- Do not wander outside until it has been announced safe to do so.
- Watch the news for advisories as well as other instructions.
- Keep yourself away from the downed power lines as well as avoid standing water or any metal objects nearby downed wires.
- Avoid entering those buildings which have sustained the structural damage.
- Be extra cautious while using a chainsaw for cutting branches or trees if any.
- Be careful while working on roofs or climbing ladders.
- Remove wet carpet or rugs from floors. 4. Cover leaking roofs before the next rain for preventing further water damage.
- Window Damage – Keep yourself up close and personal with the windows of your house, and check out for broken panes, damaged frames, or shattered glass.
- Roof Damage – Check for cracked or loose shingles.
- Clogged Gutters – Heavy rains might down limbs, bringing with it small branches and leaves that could clutter the gutter.
- Exterior Damage – Siding might tear loose, stucco can break free, and paint can peel.
After consulting with your insurance company, you will have the knowledge of what you can’t and can do, how long it will take, as well as what the policy does and does not cover. It is recommended to appoint a contractor for getting started on repairing structural damage after a storm, as soon as you get back into the house. Always remember that whenever tragedy hits, you must follow the storm damage cleanup plan for protecting yourself.